Hair Style is the final tip-off whether or not a woman really knows herself.
~ Hubert de Givenchy, Vogue, July 1985

Thursday, April 16, 2009

Welcome - 04/16/2009

Ever since I was a little girl, I’ve loved hair. I would see different styles in a magazine, on TV, or on a person, and I would have my mom try out the style on me. She was my personal hairstylist. I would show her a new cut or color I wanted, and she would try it out. I know I drove her crazy with all the different looks I wanted. It was definitely a foreshadowing of my future career.

I first colored my hair in the sixth grade. It was a temporary dye, but it never completely washed out. I saw Titanic and I was obsessed with Rose's red hair. I was mesmerized by how beautiful the color was. I wanted to be a beautiful red head too, so I went to the drugstore and bought a box and did it at home. I guess it’s safe to say it never looked like Roses did, but I loved the thought that you could change your whole look by changing your hair color. Throughout high school I was always changing my color I’ve been a red head, a blonde, and a brunette. I have changed my hair to every different color imaginable. I have had many at-home hair disasters. When I was a junior in high school, I was a natural dark blonde. I decided I wanted to have auburn hair, so I picked out a color I thought was close to what I desired. I applied it and waited the full thirty minutes. When I rinsed it out, my hair was bright carrot orange. I was horrified, and ran back to the store to get something to just bleach it out. After that incident, I decide I really wanted to become a stylist and help people achieve the hair they desire.

After high school, I enrolled in the Paul Mitchell School. I learned a lot and became even more excited about the career I had chosen. After I graduated, I started working at Salon Panache. I was 19 and a total fish out of water. I trained under one of the co-owners who was also a L'Oreal educator for a year, and then trained under the other salon owner for another year. All of the stylists at Salon Panache take continuing educational classes throughout the year. These classes include hands-on design and color techniques, taught by the top experts in the field. This has been the best opportunity I could have ever asked for. I absolutely love my job.

I have started this blog, to help others with their hair, give some tips of the trade, and provide some insight into why hair behaves the way it does.

No comments:

Post a Comment